Thursday, November 22, 2012

Blogging

On one of my posts, someone made the innocent comment about whether I posted on my blog because I had something to say or because I needed something to post about.

I've thought about that this week.

Obviously because I strive to be consistent with daily posting, a lot of the reason why I post is because it is what I've decided to do daily... NOT because I have anything worth saying or showing...

That doesn't sound like a good reason to blog.

I've had some friends express the concern that I spend way too much time writing posts on my blog...  Don't I have other things to do with my day?
(cartoon from the Internet)

Yes, I do.  I defend myself by saying that usually a blog post will take me about 30 minutes of time...  I like to write...  It's a more satisfying hobby than watching soap operas...  Anyway, I defend myself.

But there are times that I spend an hour or more writing a post... Something I've been thinking about a lot, something that I want to say but don't want to offend readers or people involved... I spend time choosing my words.  Sometimes I spend a lot of time just choosing pictures and rearranging them... even cropping them to make a simpler visual image.

So I do spend a lot of time blogging.  Maybe my housekeeping suffers.  But Tetsu isn't complaining.  I haven't been late for work yet.  

Sometimes I think my blogging is pretty one sided...  For example I find it hard to find time to reply to comments.  And my blog visiting gets pushed way down on my list of things to do.  That seems very selfish to me.  If people spend time visiting my blog then I want to reciprocate... but I get very behind (as many of you know).

"I have a block of time.  Would my blog friends prefer that I go visit their blogs or that I reply to their comments?"

It is a daily dilemma (well, weekly) too.

So is blogging just about me, me me?  Yes... (Rats... I didn't want to admit that.)  But it is a channel for my far-away family to see what Tetsu and I are up to (though honestly I don't think they visit as much as I write).  Blogging is a wonderful opportunity to get other peoples' opinions and learn how other people see a similar situation.  And you can be sure that I often am sharing those opinions (comments) with Tetsu and with my adult students.  They find it all fascinating.  (So thank you!!)

I'll probably continue blogging the way I have always done.  Not saying too much of importance, but enjoying myself anyway.


You're writing a 'gospel,' a chapter each day,
By the deeds that you do, by the words that you say;
Men read what you write, whether faithless or true—
Say, what is the 'gospel' according to you?



You are writing each day a letter to all;
Take care that the writing is true.
It's the only gospel some people may read,
The gospel according to you.

No comments: