Thursday, March 01, 2012

Snowbound

I made it to the next town over and back yesterday morning but it was slow going! I wondered if I was going to have to find a place to stay the night! I am NOT a snow and ice driver!

I took the main road into town thinking myself smart for avoiding a tunnel at the top of a pass. But the main road had cars slipping and stalled here and there with a line of cars going for miles and miles.

"Hmm. I may GET into town but I wonder if I'm going to be able to get BACK."

I was 40 minutes late arriving at the kindergarten. (I was actually expecting someone to call me and say that kindergarten was closed for the day... but no one did.) And then kindergarten had a special program going on so they only had time for 40 minutes of English... And then my next class of ladies in the town was cancelled so I slowly drove back home...

The cars were going at such a snail's pace that I easily could snap a picture or two, but was afraid to stop completely thinking that I wouldn't have traction to start up again. This is a picture of a roadside cemetery.

Old tiled roofed Japanese houses look so beautiful in the snow.

Once home I settled in for a quiet day (no walk for Choco. I also can hardly keep my balance in the snow) and spent the day quilting. Another phone call from an afternoon class excusing me from making the trip to their place (THANK YOU!) and all the animals and I stayed snug and warm for the rest of the day.

Today everything is frozen so Tetsu offered to drive me to the elementary school this morning and I walked back after crosswalk duty. I hope it thaws out today or we aren't going to have any dinner tonight! I need to go grocery shopping!

No comments: