Thursday, March 29, 2012

Hamlet

I put all my stars together for the Star Within a Star quilt. I don't know how many times I counted the stars for this, always being one short; making a new one, counting again, being one short... etc. etc. I know someday I'm going to find a couple of finished mini-stars under the sofa or in a box or somewhere. I'm POSITIVE I'd already made enough stars way back when but I couldn't find them and had to make more...

This is a lap-sized quilt. Not big enough for a bed, not really small enough for the wall. I don't know what I should do with it from here. It will need to be marked for quilting, probably hand quilting, and I'm considering a star pattern in the empty spaces...

But first of all. Does this need a border? I tend to think of quilts that just run into the binding as unfinished and usually try to put a border on. If I'm industrious I'll try a fancy pieced border but right now I'm kind of tired of this quilt. I feel like I'm just working on it to catch up with my friends who are done with theirs... Do I want to just mark it and quilt it and bind it and be done in a couple months... or do I want to work on a fancy border which will take a couple months of thinking before a couple months (or years as the case may be) of quilting?

I have other projects waiting for me... A bed quilt I'm hand quilting... That Alabama Beauty that is nearly at this same stage and will want the same attention.

"Are you giving me a border or not?!"

And I've been preparing some blocks for embroidery in the optimistic possibility that I might find some free time to play with embroidery floss...

I'd like to make a baby-quilt...

I mean...My poor Star Within A Star... What's the point of putting in months of work on making a quilt and then at the end peter-out and do a half-hearted job on a border or non-border?

On the other hand, what's the point of putting in months of work on making a quilt that has no real destination... It might go on the back of the sofa... I'm not giving it away because many of the pretty stars in it were made by my friends.

I feel like I'm Hamlet in the Shakespearean play.

"To put on a border or not to put on a border... that is the question."~~~

No comments: