Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Hopscotch Butterscotch quilt finished!

Someone wanted to know what the red rice is. Julie who lives in Tokyo mentioned it in her comment yesterday.

Red rice is different from regular Japanese rice and is made of mochi rice... which is extra sticky rice (Japanese rice is sticky anyways). The rice is mixed with red azuki beans and then steamed together and the beans turn the rice a slight pinkish color. On top of all is sprinkled salted black sesame seeds. The very popular dish is called sekihan, and it is served at all celebrations. Birthdays, festivals, weddings. I'm not sure of the origins or why it is considered celebratory food but it might have to do with the red and white color, which Japan associates with joy and celebration... (picture from the Internet)

******

I finished the Hopscotch Butterscotch quilt! Yeah! A first finish since summer vacation. This is basically made of Leaders/Enders but I didn't really make a dent in my leaders/enders bin. My two inch squares reproduce! (And my strings, and my 3 1/2 inch squares.) I will take this to Mrs. Furui who will pass it on to the Ronald McDonald House.

Now, I have a question...

Someone has asked me to make them a rainbow quilt. I have the rainbow colors with all the batiks that blog friends have given me... but I can't find the "perfect" pattern. The friends who have asked for a quilt run a home for foster children called Rainbow House and I have a feeling they are thinking of a quilt with a rainbow going across the sky or something. I am thinking about Bargello but I've never seen a true rainbow shape in Bargello. Do you have any suggestions?

Or I may just go gradation with a common pattern... Let people use their imagination with rainbow...

Because the Hopscotch Butterscotch quilt is crossed off my list I can start working on something else again. Yeah! Patchwork is endless! (And aren't we happy about that!)

No comments: