Thursday, March 03, 2011

Drunkard's Path

The other day I gave some homework to my beginning patchwork friends, (Mrs. Nakazawa and Rumi-san). Curves!

"Gyha~ah! Curves! Curves are too hard!"

Maybe.... But being able to sew curves (in this case by hand) can expand a piecer's choices so making a small Drunkard's Path block was the homework... (And it was also the second block in the sampler that we're making.)

Since Mrs. Nakazawa and Rumi-san are suffering through learning to sew curves this week, I decided to empathize with them and make a few of my own. I've long had this pattern in the Better Homes and Gardens, American Patchwork and Quilting magazine, dog-eared (April 1996 issue). This is called Drunkard's Path (okay... that makes sense) and I tried to follow the sample in the magazine by using a lot of plaids and country colors.

The curves are done by hand. The blocks are joined by machine. That was more fussy than I thought it would be because of course when marking the pieces I didn't make an accurate 1/4 inch seam. But anyway, it is put together. It will go on the list of things to hand quilt... hopefully in the near future.

No comments: