Saturday, October 23, 2010

Friendship quilts

I'm trying to think of a friendship sort of quilt for a good quilting friend (whom you know). I don't think she reads this blog...

So. There are about 5 of us in our regular quilting group that could participate in secrecy. But my friend has a LOT of friends. Do you think Mary's Lattice quilt might make a good friendship quilt? You know, ask a few people (those that sew) to make up a bunch of blocks (they look like signature blocks to me) and then go around in the next few months and have people sign them? Does that make sense? And then I would probably sew them all together...

To make a true signature quilt everyone would make their own blocks, right? But that really limits the quilt. I guess I would have to make most of the blocks and if I were asking others in my group to help make blocks then it would have to be done by hand (boo...) No one else does machine piecing nor would there be a way to do a quick machine piecing class in secrecy. Could we do some blocks by hand and some by machine? Oohh. Confusing.... Or I could just make up all the blocks myself (I have enough fabric) and just hand them around for people to sign... But does that make it a friendship quilt?

Or just make a 10 or 12 of the same blocks and forget signatures and too bad if not that many people can participate....

So many quilts right now on my table and in my head and here I'm thinking of starting another one... But I don't really know where to start. Any ideas?

No comments: