Thursday, June 24, 2010

Quilting magazines

I have all four Alabama Beauty blocks in my possession again. I took a picture before I lose them for the umpteeth time. I'm thinking that I need some brighter colors in this... The new block is the one on the right.

The other day I was looking through some old quilt magazines that a friend had sent me. I've browsed through them before and marked the things I'd like to make someday or pictures that I find inspiring. On one page that I'd marked was a quilt called Fireflies and I'd thought it stunning when I saw it. I realized looking at it again that it is the Alabama Beauty block but done with all dark background the sparkles of light fabric in some of the outer curves... Very pretty... So I guess if this block has caught my fancy twice that I'm supposed to make it. I don't know if I want to make a whole quilt with the dark colors (I don't have enough dark blue-black fabric) but I might try a Firefly colorscheme next.

Question. When I was Googling images of quilts I came up with another "I want to make someday" quilt. And following the link took me McCalls Quilting website and a picture of the quilt. But there seems to be no available pattern for a quilt from the 2009 September issue. That's okay. I'd be willing to buy the issue to make the quilt but I can't figure out how to do that either... Is that because I'm not a member? But I've signed up for their newsletter. I can't really figure out if this quilt (cats of course) was just a gallery quilt and maybe there IS no pattern anywhere. In which case I'm ready with my tag board and colored pencils to make the pattern myself! But if I could save myself the trouble I'd be a lot happier... Does anyone know how these quilting magazine websites work? Where does one find and purchase back issues of quilting magazines? Or maybe I'll have to go hunting in the local libraries when I get back to the States.

I've got to do some major cleaning today! And I want to quilt the last quarter of my Patches and Pinwheels quilt. I'd better get off the computer.

No comments: