Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Blueberry and Cream Frappuccino

In some ways Tetsu and I are a pretty typical middle aged couple in Japan. We go our own ways during the week. Tetsu works long hours. We argue about stupid things.

But occasionally I will notice things that maybe other Japanese husbands won't do for their wives that Tetsu will do for me and vice versa. Most Japanese men don't spend a lot of time in the kitchen. In Tetsu's generation mothers told their sons to stay out of the kitchen.

However I lucked out and have a husband who cleans the kitchen for me every morning. When I come home from being out at the school, I find a sparkling kitchen. It really starts the day off for me and I am grateful for my uncommon Japanese husband.

On Sunday, Tetsu had to work and after church I went into the next town to do some shopping. On the way home I stopped at Starbucks and bought Tetsu a Venti Blueberry and Cream Frappuccino with lots of whipped cream and then delivered it to him at work. Tetsu was slightly embarrassed to find me at the front door though he appreciated the Frappuccino, and the office ladies thought this was great fun. I guess the conversation for the next hour was about how a Japanese wife would NEVER turn up at her husband's workplace with a yummy gift of endearment (hey, it was a Sunday!).

But the office ladies had a good laugh and I earned a lot of points in Tetsu's book. I'd say 580 yen for a Frappuccino was good investment.

No comments: