Saturday, November 28, 2009

Filler finished



The batik Mexican Star quilt is finished and up on the wall!




I really quilted this thing densely which if nothing else was a learning experience for me. I've never done so much filler quilting. (It was the Leah Day website that captured my fancy).

I don't know if anyone else has made the same observation but it seemed that the more I quilted, the more relaxed I got, ABOUT EVERYTHING! At first I was fussing over the uneveness of the star points and then I was frustrated over the places where I was trying to do stitch in the ditch. But it seemed that the more I quilted, the more lines were added, the less I worried about sewing directly over previous lines or in seams and it didn't matter that the pebbles were lopsided. By the end it didn't matter that the border wasn't perfectly symetrical or if it sometimes got lost in the binding.

I don't think I had a "who cares, let's get this over with" attitude, just a more relaxed "imperfect makes it mine" attitude. Quilting actually got to be fun!!! Of course looking at this critically I'd do some minor marking on the border to make things a bit more even. And maybe I'd try a bit harder to keep the puckering down but I am pleased with my first "filler" filled quilt.

No comments: