Sunday, September 06, 2009

Lotus flowers

Do you know what this is?


In another month or so this green outer-space looking thing will become one of the dried lotus pods that are often seen in flower arrangements.


Yesterday Tetsu and Choco and I went out for a drive. The actual place that we ended up at wasn't too exciting but on the way I spotted some beautiful lotus flowers and had Tetsu pull over to the side of the road so that we could explore. I don't know who maintains this field but someone had gone to a lot of work to set up a little viewing area and a wooden path leading to it. This is right between a couple farm houses so it must be someone's private field. Just beautiful!



I think this field is getting towards the end because there were more green pods than flowers but it was still just lovely. The leaves grow in a bog and cover the whole area until the water can't even be seen and then a lotus bud shoots up and gradually blossoms.



Inside the flower is this bright yellow center sitting in a furry looking pom-pom and then the petals and pom-pom fall off leaving just the center which gradually turns green and eventually brown.

I don't know if this was a lotus field just for viewing or if the lotus roots are actually harvested for eating. Lotus roots are deliciously crunchy and very attractive when cooked. (Picture from the Internet)

Usually the farmers around my area will grow raise lotus but the flowers are white. This was the first time for me to see the lovely pink.







Tetsu and I spent a few minutes taking advantage of the look out point and then continued on our way. Japan is heading into autumn but yesterday was hot and humid. I'm looking forward to cooler weather!



No comments: