Sunday, June 14, 2009

Emergency


...not on to the next project...

I spent about 8 hours at the hospital yesterday. And my mom is back in again. Life changes quickly...

Normal morning. The rest of the family went off to softball tournament. I did laundry and even got Grandma up for a bit so that I could change sheets and her pajamas etc. At 1:30 though she said she was feeling sick and I accosted Marcy as she drove in the driveway and we were in the emergency room by 2:00.

It's hard to tell what's going on and it's hard to know what to do... Grandma does NOT want to go to the hospital! Are we jumping the gun? Should we wait and see if she gets worse? What is worse? Even with the doctor firing questions at us we were sort of at a loss.

"When did she start getting nauseous?" "1:00? But she's had episodes for years."

"Does she get dizzy? Is she unsteady? Since when?" "Oh, she's always unsteady..."

"So why did you bring her in?" "Because we thought her blood pressure might be high? Because the last time she was brought in she had had a heart attack... Same symptoms."

More emergency room tests. More not so great results. Yep. She'd better be admitted. That makes Grandma sad. She does not want to be there. She does not want us to leave.

Marcy and I wait in the hallway while they move Mother from one bed to another and hook her back up to all their machines. I stand there thinking maybe we ought to call Mother's pastor... No that is really jumping the gun.

"Pastor Andrea?"

Marcy looks down the hall and there is Mother's pastor on her way back from visiting her own mother who is hospitalized! Pastor Andrea comes in and Mother looks up and says,

"Oh my! You are so beautiful!"

"Oh Grace, you ARE sick!"

Gives us all a laugh. (Pastor Andrea IS lovely but she didn't expect the genuine, spontaneous compliment at that particular moment.)

Prayers and a hand squeeze and I think God has sent us a small miracle.


"He performs wonders that cannot be fathomed,
miracles that cannot be counted."

Job 5:9

11 comments:

Carol said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

Carol said...

I share your concern. Thankfully my mother moved within 40 miles of me and I can monitor her health much easier.
Hope your stateside visit will be enjoyable after your mother is more stable.

Nancy said...

It is so good that you are there. So very good.

Love and prayers,
N, NP

Knitting Auntie (aka Sharon) said...

Prayers headed your way, God meant for you to be there now, making good memories...

Mimi said...

Tough decisions for sure, Tanya. Sorry, but I know how difficult it is when your mother is ill and doesn't want to go to the hospital. You are in my thoughts and prayers.

Hugs

Allie said...

Praying right now, Tanya. So glad you are there. How wonderful of the Lord to send the Pastor right then.

Rae Ann said...

Oh, Tanya, what happened. It sounded like things were getting better and moving forward and now this. Have they diagnoised her with what is wrong? I hope she doesn't have to stay long and will be back home quickly. I'll say an extra prayer for your mother and for you too. I'm thiking of you.
Rae Ann

Sew Create It - Jane said...

Glad you are in the USA for your mom...seems your decision to go early was the right one. (((hugs)))

G'G'ma said...

So sorry for this roller coaster ride for your family. It is good you came early or you would be a nervous wreak with the phone calls and wondering what to do. Prayers for your Mom and her family.

Shasta said...

Whether to see a doctor or go to the hospital always causes us lots of agonizing in the decision making progress. You and your family are my thoughts and prayers.

BrendaLou said...

know that we are all praying too! I'm so glad you are in CA.