Thursday, May 07, 2009

This and that

Let's see. Golden Week is over and school has started. I guess I'll show you some stray pictures of the week.

One day I met my friend Kaoru in town and visited a travel agency together. Kaoru-san helped me choose airlines etc. I also made a quick stop at the Immigration office and got my re-entry permit. As a permanent resident (like a green card) I can go freely in and out of Japan but I still have to get this permit every three years. A much nicer job than years ago. When I first came to Japan I had to travel hours to another city and then wait in line for a couple more hours. The offices were drab and smokey, the people behind the counters were harried and treated the foreigners like dirt, and the foreigners bored and irritated sat in the hallways on the floor. I hated having to go to the Immigration office. Nowadays the offices are right in the next city, they have soft chairs and pleasant decor and the people behind the counters are pleasant and friendly.

After doing travel things Kaoru-san and I hit an exhibition of Japanese dolls that was just wonderful. The doll maker has captured the atmosphere of Japan and she specializes in depicting elderly Japanese farmers. So realistic! Everyday I see people like this in the fields!

Of course we weren't allowed to take pictures but I bought a folder for Tetsu and have snapped a picture of that.



In December I made a Prayer and Square quilt for one of our church members and after surgery and hospitalization he is back at work. (Thank you June for asking!) He and his wife came over on Sunday and they brought me the loveliest bag! Mrs. Izumi said she thought of me immediately when she saw it and bought a matching one for herself. They are cat lovers too and so we can commiserate over cat antics and vet bills.

And here is Chip trying to be a shelf decoration and blending in with my other cat knick knacks.

8 comments:

Connie W said...

You and one of my sisters both love your cats. When I think of cats I think of both of you.

Allie said...

Those dolls are fantastic! So realistic looking. I LOVE your purse. Chip seems to think he belongs there, lol!!!!!

Colleen formerly of South Africa said...

I think I love your Mrs. Fiuri. She sounds like such a gem of a lady. I love your thousand colors quilt. I so need to finish up several unfinished things...so I can start something new and fun.

Chocolate Cat said...

You'll enjoy using this cute bag! Love the dolls, what amazing details.

Shasta said...

Those dolls are adorable. We went to a show once in Canada where they had recreated the whole town in miniature - all the buildings, even people, scenes of a fire, with the firefighters, farmers, etc. It was incredible.

mamaspark said...

You have your very own "Chip" knack!

The Calico Quilter said...

Those dolls are amazing. You look at them and think that they will start moving. As for Chip on the mantel, it's like "If I sit here REAL QUIET, nobody will notice me." Precious.

artfilstitch said...

Love your cat bag! Glad you have your traveling papers in order. When are you coming to the states?
Liz