Thursday, March 26, 2009

Plum blossoms


Spring break has started in Japan and I think the kids have two weeks of vacation. The new school year will begin the first week of April and everyone is hoping that the cherry blossoms will be in full bloom for the entrance and start of school ceremonies.

My garden is still brown and grey (though I do have a lonely cluster of daffodils blooming in a corner) but the plum trees are starting to show their blossoms. Many white plum trees that look they are covered with pop-corn. Some pink plum trees that are the most beautiful, and I think the darker pink color of the peach trees will begin blooming pretty soon. Japanese revere the delicate cherry blossoms but the bolder plum trees always seem more striking to me.


4 comments:

Mrs. Goodneedle said...

We're on a similar cycle here right now, the plums and cherries bursting forth. Such a magnificent display, each year I think it's the prettiest spring yet!

Lori in South Dakota said...

still cold and chilly here, no blossoms for at least another month. I want to come stand under the trees there and smell them. Ahhhhhh

Allie said...

How lovely! I'm SO ready for spring here. I need some flowers!

Shasta said...

Only two weeks of vacation. We don't have much blooming here either - although some green is peeking through. The plum flowers are gorgeous.