Sunday, October 26, 2008

Halloween preparations

I'm getting ready for Halloween. This week, starting from tomorrow I'm dressing up as a witch and heading off to the pre-school (Monday) and the kindergarten (Wednesday) and all the other days greeting my English kids in my Halloween getup. I don't know how many years I've done this...

Then this morning Tetsu carved me a pumpkin so I feel like I'm ready. This is not a common custom in Japan and kids do not go trick-or-treating (although Halloween things abound nowadays in the Japanese stores).






One reason for the lack of Jack 'O Lanterns is that we can't get big orange pumpkins in Japan. Usually I have to be satisfied with a small green pumpkin but this year my friend Marlene supplied me with a very nice pumpkin that someone gave her. I asked Tetsu to go ahead and carve up the green one for me too. It was either that or pumpkin soup for dinner tonight...

Wish you'd come trick-or-treating at my house this year!

5 comments:

Stefanie/ Luna said...

Hi,
I was not here for longer. You have a nice Halloween decoration for your house.
Here in Germany we don´t celebrate Halloween like in the USA but you can buy some Halloween decoration and candies and a few kids go for trick or treats here in the area. We always have bad and rainy weather and they often have no desire to run more.
But we also want to make a pumpkin with a light.
Have a nice day!

Mart Bright said...

Hi Tanya,

I love the entry to your house. It looks very inviting. I'd like to see more views of your garden. Tetsu is quite the artist!

Shasta said...

Your entry does look very inviting - I wish I did live close enough to trick or treat! It's much more than I have done.

Linda said...

I think your green pumpking is much scarier looking than the cheerful orange!!! Have a great Hallowe'en.
Lurking Linda
stoleequilts@gmail.com

The Calico Cat said...

I heard that Tokyo Disney brought Halloween to Japan...