Sunday, September 28, 2008

Prayers and Squares again

Gratefully we don't have to do this very often but this morning at church we tied and prayed over a quilt for one of our members who is going through chemotherapy. I guess I am head of the Prayers and Squares chapter at our church and for the past two years I've made about 12 of these quilts (same Around the World pattern) in different colors. Some of the quilts have been prayed over and given away but I still have four flimsies in my drawer for emergencies. Last week we got word about the member and on Thursday and then today at church we tied knots and prayed over the quilt. Which reminds me, I need to make a label for this still.

Most of the fabric for these quilts are pulled from my stash and I try to keep a couple pinkish ones and a couple bluish ones on hand. (My own prejudices.) The bluish ones tend to be called into services more than the pinkish ones... I've written about how the solid fabric just sort of fell into my lap (thank you Lord) and I still have rolls of both green and maroon in my closet. I hope that this quilt and the love and prayers that it contains will bring comfort to the man who will receive it.

6 comments:

Lynne in Hawaii said...

Such a wonderful service. I feel sure that the Lord hears your prayers and will comfort the receiver. When in the service of your fellow man, you are in the service of your God. You will be blessed.

Mrs. Goodneedle said...

Thanks for sharing, I'm amazed to see prayers and squares all over the world... literally. Thank you for sharing, this is a blessing to everyone that reads and for all that participates in this ministry.

artfilstitch said...

What a comfort for those in need to receive,the prayers and quilts. I went to the prayers and squares website that you listed and read about the organization. Didn't realize that it is world wide. May God bless your endeavors.

Marilyn R said...

I hadn't heard of Prayers and Squares quilts before. I am sure they are a blessing to the one who is ill, but also a blessing to the ones who tie and pray. What a great way to involve every one no matter their age or ability!

Mary said...

I'm so sorry to read about your member who will receive the quilt but I'm sure it will be a blessing to her. It's funny, Bonnie just posted a group tying a HeartStrings quilt and I've been wanting to write a tutorial for tying our HeartStrings quilts - I love the idea of prayers being "tied" into the quilt.

Can you contribute to my *research*? What type of floss/thread do you use, what type/size of needle to you find works well.

Chocolate Cat said...

What a special thing to do for a person in need. I am sure this quilt will bring a lot of comfort.