Tuesday, May 13, 2008

Stars

I had a busy day yesterday and didn't get home until evening. Teaching at the nursery school and at a friend's house and then again in the evening so I never got to the computer.

My head though was spinning all day with ideas of things I wanted to make and try. I think it is the challenge of creating something rather than the actual finished product that I like.

"Can I really do this? Is this really a time saver or a new technique?"

Last night at 8:30 I was upstairs trying out Patti's stars at Quilting is My Passion, and I made four. You really should go to her blog and see the beautiful quilt she is making. I don't know why I'm even showing my feeble attempt. Patti's instructions were very easy BUT I was reminded again at what a complete dunce I am with numbers and measuring. There really must be some gene missing in my DNA. How difficult is it to make 3 1/2 inch cuts in a square. How many times did I measure and re-measure and count out the inch lines in my rotary mat? And yet, twice I mis-cut and ruined some very good fabric. Once I can understand, but twice? Makes me think I should leave all cutting to someone else and just dedicate myself to sewing seams.


Here are my colors. I ignored Patti's advice and am not doing this in two colors which I'm not sure was a good idea or not. Calico Cat had sent me all those gorgeous bright patterns on black fabric and I decided those would be nice against some bright fabrics of my own but I don't know if you can really see the stars in there. I'll work on this a while longer hopefully adding some red and pink fabric and see where this leads me. No real plans for giving this to someone but hopefully it will grow into something nice.

8 comments:

Lynne in Hawaii said...

Tanya, I really like the look! The stars are quite visible and the secondary pattern looks good too! You did a terrific job!

Nancy said...

I can see stars, Tanya, and I LIKE 'em.

n, np

artfilstitch said...

Love your stars and the bright blues and golds...Yummy!
Liz

Elaine Adair said...

Not sure if this will help but, regarding mis-cuts. I loose my mark also (need glasses, etc.) and often will stick tape to the back of the ruler, to help 'find' the line. It also helps to slide that tape line against the fabric, to keep it from ooching to the wrong line.

Elaine Adair said...

Not sure if this will help but, regarding mis-cuts. I loose my mark also (need glasses, etc.) and often will stick tape to the back of the ruler, to help 'find' the line. It also helps to slide that tape line against the fabric, to keep it from ooching to the wrong line.

Mama Koch said...

I like your scrappy version of the stars. Patti's tutorial looks easy enough that I may have to try it.

atet said...

I love the looks of those stars --as for the cutting, we won't mention the number of times I've done the same thing :0).

andsewitis Holly said...

I love blocks that lend themselves to secondary designs. This is really nice!