Thursday, April 10, 2008

Kaminari Mon

And here is Tokyo! Well, Asakusa. Yesterday I signed off my post with my leaving Nikko and heading into the big, wide world. It was an easy trip and only takes about an hour and a half so I don't know why I've never done it before.

Once in Asakusa Marlene found me easily and we met up with her friend Leslie, and the three of us took off for the shopping district!


And here is Asakusa and the gateway to the temple where all the shops are. This is one of the most famous tourist spots in Japan because of the huge paper lantern that hangs from the gate. I'm sure if any of you have been to Tokyo then someone has directed you to this gate called the Kaminari Mon. It was hard to get a picture because of all the people coming and going in all directions.


And here is the street of shops beyond the gateway. Actually there are little streets like this going in many directions but the shops all sell similar things. Marlene, Leslie and I wandered up to the temple with me diving into shops to see what was available while the other two chatted.

Made a visit to the temple to watch people fanning incense over themselves (purification ablutions?) but my purpose yesterday wasn't to go and appreciate the historical temple so I really have no information. Sorry about that.





A five story pagoda that has something to do with the temple, a couple of HUGE straw sandals (the other one was hanging on the other side of this minor gate) that I think the gods are suppose to wear.

On the way back down the street I ran into the stores where I'd noted things I wanted to buy (they all looked the same so it was a challenge!) and then the three of us meandered along some of the side streets.

More about stores and purchases tomorrow!

2 comments:

Quilt crazy said...

Congratulations on your great adventure! Next time you will need to go to Nippori for fabric shopping and to the Tokyo Quilt show in January!

artfilstitch said...

I enjoyed your trip to Asakusa. Brought back the memories of my recent trip to Tokyo. You must go to Nippori on your next trip to Tokyo. I found beautiful, good quality quilt fabrics for 397Y. Looking forward to another trip and attending the Tokyo Quilt Show. Sounds like you had a great visit with your friends.
Thanks for sharing again!
Liz