Wednesday, November 21, 2007

Pumpkin pudding

I'm afraid my days haven't had anything too exciting going on (maybe I should be grateful!) and recently I'm just concentrating on staying warm! I'm going to have to move a heater into the sewing room because I hesitate to go up there and sew just because it is so cold. No sewing done for the past few days.

So how about an ultra simple recipe for pumpkin pudding? I am not much of a cook so you know if I'm cooking it, it must be easy. I think I got this off the Internet and everyone seems to like it so I make it often during this season. Actually I used a pumpkin that Tetsu had grown! You couldn't really call the block of ground that a local farmer is letting him use a garden or even a pumpkin patch. Tetsu just planted seeds in the spring, ignored the area for four months and then brought home 10 or 12 pumpkins in early October. Anyway, yesterday's pumpkin pudding was made from one of the free grown pumpkins. All measurments are pretty iffy.

Pumpkin Pudding
400gms of pumpkin (about 1/4 of a small pumpkin)
2 eggs
5 Tablespoons sugar
200cc milk (3/4 cup)
cinnamon
vanilla

1. Preheat oven to 180C. (350F)
2. Peel and cube pumpkin and boil
3. Puree pumpkin with hand mixer and all other ingredients.
4. Pour into small greased Pyrex casserole dish (or cake pan)
5. Place casserole dish in a pan of water and bake 1 hour.
6. Serve with whipped cream.

Actually there was one time when everyone just raved about this! That was the time I burned the pumpkin at the boiling stage! I scraped the charred parts off the pumpkin pieces and went ahead and used the pumpkin and the friends I served it to thought it had an absolutely delicious smokey flavor. I've never had enough courage to burn the pumpkin again but always keep in mind that failures can sometimes be hidden blessings!

8 comments:

atet said...

Have you tried roasting the pumpkin rather than boiling it? Just coat it with a touch of olive oil and put it in the oven to roast until it's tender -- then mash it. It may give the smoky flavor you want without intentionally burning it!

The Calico Cat said...

1. Do you use American measurements/recipes/tools?

2. Do you think canned pumpkin would work? (I have only seen the orange pumpkins that people carve around here... & the Tee Vee cook said that she has tried real pumpkin & canned pumpkin in her recipes & the canned it just as good as the real thing.)

harts4Him said...

Ahh..failures can sometimes be hidden blessings. What wisdom! I have sure seen that to be true in my own life...if I am willing to stick around long enough and humble myself.
Sending you warm wishes across the ocean,
Vanessa

meggie said...

Nice post Tanya. We dont use pumkins as a sweet very often. We usually roast it, & serve as a vegetable. My Grandmother came from Yorkshire in England, & she said humans wouldnt dream of eating pumpkin when she was a child. They were grown for the cattle to eat! I am so glad we eat it, as I love it.

marisa said...

Good recipe, I will try to do it.Ciao

Mel & Seigo said...

Thanks for posting it!! I happened to have some leftover pumpkin in the fridge and made this tonight!! It was a hit!! :) Yum Yum! Just the right amount of sugar too :) Have you tried it with marscapone cheese instead of cream? It's really nice too ;)

Melanie

LaurieG said...

LOL, one of the best pumpkin pies I ever made was the one that we discovered after baking that 1/2 the spices were forgotten. So we mixed them up with some brown sugar, spread it over the top of the pies and put them back in the oven for about 10 minutes. (I haven't had the courage to try it again, either.)

Rose Marie said...

I made this receipe using canned pumpkin and it was delicious. Instead of the whipped cream, I had mine with vanilla yogurt. Thanks for sharing such a simple and easy receipe for us!