Thursday, October 25, 2007

Masks

No, I'm not visiting a hospital nor planning to rob a bank.

Last week I caught a cold (again!) but it didn't put too much of a dent in my activities. I have been plodding along now only harboring a cough but I have my trusty mask to protect the people around me. People wearing masks is a very common site on the Japanese streets, and in department stores especially at this time of year and during the flu season (and also during hay fever season). It is common courtesy to wear a mask when you catch a cold in Japan or when you are especially worried about catching someone else's germs. When I first came to Japan it made me think that all the doctors in the operating rooms had left their patient on the table and had gone off forgetting to take off their masks.

I sometimes wonder how effective these little $1 gauze masks are. They are made of at least 8 layers of gauze with another interchangeable gauze piece inside and they have soft elastic bands that slip over the ears. I thought germs and viruses were small enough to pass through cloth weave and fibers but I suppose masks can prevent flying germs from sneezing and coughs. If nothing else, you know the person who is wearing one is probably not feeling up to par (and can keep your distance?) and probably is a very conscientious person.

For me, speaking with someone who wears a mask is somewhat of a challenge. Not that I read lips or anything, but seeing someone's facial expressions is very helpful when understanding a topic if you don't quite understand all the vocabulary, (another reason why I don't especially like the telephone) but all that is hidden under those layers of gauze. Masks are also slightly annoying when trying to understand or correct a student's English pronunciation so in class I usually say "take off the mask and give us your germs!"

For children there are all sort of cute little logos on the masks and even some in pastel colors. Yesterday at the kindergarten I found a little girl wearing a Mimi mouse mask.

For all you people with colds "Odaijini!" "Take care of yourself!"

9 comments:

Tracey in CT said...

I hope you feel better soon!

When I lived in Ecuador, I noticed a lot of the covering your face while sick thing. Masks were pretty rare, but my classmates in school seemed to carry a hanky around and hold it over their mouth and nose continually if they didn't feel well, and they often tied a bandana around their face. I think it was mostly a case of the masks not being widely available there back then (in the early 80s). The last time I was there (2000) I did see a lot of masks, but then again the volcanos were erupting a bunch then, too.

CONNIE W said...

While they may not be 100% effective they certainly must be somewhat helpful. I think it's a sensible and considerate custom. We Americans should adopt the idea and hopefully reap the benefits.

anne bebbington said...

What a considerate way to try and reduce the spread of coughs and colds - it's amazing how quickly a bug can spread through an air-conditioned building

Annelies said...

When having a cold, we don't use masks in the Netherlands, but it is a very good way to stop spreading a cold.
( today on my web-log a photo of my 365 challenge quilt)

dee said...

with all the stuff floating around in the air this time of year I think it is a great idea. I agree about the challenge of facial expressions though-that would throw me as I like to see a persons face when I speak with them.

Shelina said...

I hope you get over your cold quickly.
Many of my family members were sick when they came for the birthday party, and I am now worried that I might be getting sick as well. I think masks would be a great idea, if they worked. You've weighed the pros and cons very well.

meggie said...

I think the masks are a good idea, to try to stop the spread of coughs & colds!
I fear vanity would prevent it catching on here!

teodo said...

I hope you feel better soon.....

...... the masks is really useful

ciao ciao

andsewitis Holly said...

Ah, I had forgotten all about the mask. I like the idea myself. The juvenile ones are adorable.