Monday, August 06, 2007

Patriotism

Ok. Ramble, ramble, ramble.

One of the things I notice when I come back to the States each year is the patriotism that is evident. Of course this was really true the first couple of years after 9/11 and I don't notice quite so much of it this year, but I still wanted to comment on it.

On paper, Japan does not have an army or any armed forces. They have something called a self-defense force but I don't think the enlistment is high. Japan considers itself to be a neutral nation, much like Switzerland, and it prides itself on its anti-war stance. This is because they are the only country in the world which has suffered the effects of a nuclear bomb and the government and citizens are very outspoken about the tragedy of war.

For me, as an American, August is an uncomfortable time because August 6th and 9th are the anniversaries of the nuclear bombings where the Japanese cities of Hiroshima and Nagasaki were destroyed by America. I'm not saying that I have ever been ostracized or criticized for being American. Japanese really welcome Americans, more so than many other nationalities! But many older Japanese feel it necessary to speak out on the horrors of the war that they experienced and it always makes me a little uncomfortable to hear the tales about what "my country" did to "their country".

Besides the fact that Japan is not happy about America's policy on the war in Iraq nor their own involvement, Japan is not patriotic. They do love their country and many people probably pity everyone who does not live in their technologically superior country. But there are no flags waving over front porches, no recognition for their enlisted men. The children do not sing patriotic songs in school plays. There are no cute displays of patriotic colors and figures on the mantle. I wonder if they appreciate their freedom and how it is maintained.

I walk along the streets of Covina and see the flags over the doorways. I notice the patriotic decorations sold in gift shops, red white and blue paper napkins and candle holders (I know, we just celebrated Independence Day.) I see the banners on the street lamps recognizing the young men and women from the city who are serving in the armed forces. I join in with the prayers given from the church pulpit for the protection of the young people serving in Iraq. I am moved when at a park performance the MC asks anyone who has served to stand so that we can acknowledge them. A few older men will be prodded by their smiling wives to stand creakily and shyly while the crowd gives them an ovation. I admit, I even get choked up when the audience stands to sing a song declaring their love for the country and their fellow citizens.

If tomorrow all the things were gone,
I’d worked for all my life.
And I had to start again,
with just my children and my wife.

I’d thank my lucky stars,
to be living here today.
‘Cause the flag still stands for freedom,
and they can’t take that away.

And I’m proud to be an American,
where at least I know I’m free.
And I wont forget the men who died,
who gave that right to me.

And I gladly stand up,
next to you and defend her still today.
‘Cause there ain’t no doubt I love this land,
God bless the USA.

From the lakes of Minnesota,
to the hills of Tennessee.
Across the plains of Texas,
From sea to shining sea.

From Detroit down to Houston,
and New York to L.A.
Well there's pride in every American heart,
and its time we stand and say.

That I’m proud to be an American,
where at least I know I’m free.
And I wont forget the men who died,
who gave that right to me.

And I gladly stand up,
next to you and defend her still today.
‘Cause there ain’t no doubt I love this land,
God bless the USA.

And I’m proud to be and American,
where at least I know I’m free.
And I wont forget the men who died,
who gave that right to me.

And I gladly stand up,
next to you and defend her still today.
‘Cause there ain’t no doubt I love this land,
God bless the USA.



5 comments:

Quilting Journey said...

Oh Tanya, Thank you so much for such and honest post and the chance to truly let ALL of us think about how we are, how we appear and how war has done damage and hurt all of us, in so many different ways. I think this is an incredibly important message. My Alaskan grandparents were a five star family...five sons served in WWII..one son shot down over the Pacific and perished. My heart has always felt the pain for all losses, all sides. War only hurts us all. While we are feeling the love of our own country, it is so good to see the love others have for theirs and the pain each of us has caused the other. It is good to love our country, to be proud of our freedoms,but also good to see the other side and even that of those caught in the middle. I think you should be proud of both countries...one by birth and one by adoption.

Mrs. Goodneedle said...

Thanks, Tanya. This is a stirring post. I understand your conflict and deeply appreciate your honesty.

Connie W said...

Ditto Mrs. G's comment above. Well written.

Katie said...

My husband is from New Zealand and he would agree with you about the blatant patriotism in the US. I don't see it unless he points it out. It's good to have an outside point of view.

Shelina said...

I'm sure Japan is not the only country that is unhappy about our dealings with Iraq. I had cousins from other countries come to visit me to discuss politics and encourage me to vote their way. First time it has happened.

On our quilt, there were Japanese students who wrote USA and I love Ohio, and my sister was thinking that the American students made those. You will notice though that there were three red circles, which I finally figured out was to represent the Japanese flag, so patriotism is abound there too, although probably not as obviously.