Tuesday, July 31, 2007

More bits and pieces

Not much to report on today.

Leiya has been down in the dumps about summer homework and options for college. She's going to be taking college preparation courses yet she is just plodding through the reading she needs to be doing. I pointed out that if she can't get the pre-college work done she'll really have problems when she gets there! Too much summer vacation!

Takumi advises her about schools one way. "Stay in Ohio. You've got residency there. It costs too much for you to come to school in California. It doesn't matter what you major in."

I tell her something else. "If you want to be in California or somewhere else you should be looking at colleges out here. We'll worry about money later."

And of course Tetsu was giving her other advice when she saw him. "Finish all your schooling in America and then decide what you want to do."

I gather that Leiya's family in Ohio has given her advice too "Art is not really too practical."

Marcy gives advice "Major in what you like (art) and maybe you can get a scholarship."

A college student friend advises "Go in as undeclared and you can worry about your future later."

I guess Takumi's advice broke the camel's back and she ended up in tears yesterday.

Ok. Enough of that. Here are some odds and ends pictures of things I find interesting in the neighborhood.

On my morning walk I go past the elementary school. I think California schools are different (at least from Japanese schools) because they are spread out in little separate buildings instead of a big two or three story building. This school is arranged in a semi-circle. I thought the Tobacco Free sign was interesting. The school also pulls the deaf-education children in the community and they have a special program in some of the rooms so that's why these signs are posted near the school.

Another sign that I pass daily is this street sign. I guess the street was named for a police officer who died on duty though I don't know if he lived there or what. I just thought it was a very moving thing for someone to do in memory of him.

As I went down one of the residential streets I noticed this hand-written sign and the pretty little garden. (There were actually two rose gardens with the same little sign.) The roses were past their prime but I can imagine that the owner tends to her garden carefully. I wondered if she had had problems with people stealing her roses and decided that this was a friendly way to suggest that people only take one rose, or if she is just a very generous gardener. Notice the clippers that hang on the sign too.

This isn't a sign but yesterday when I went to pick up the mail I noticed two dog biscuits inside the mailbox along with the mail. Even though the mail-lady doesn't have contact with my brother's two dogs, she occasionally leaves them dog treats. Again, I wondered if she keeps dog treats handy because she has trouble with aggressive dogs at some houses or if she is just a dog lover and likes to give out treats to the dogs on her route.

A cheery little small town neighborhood. Not a lot going on.

4 comments:

Bellydancingknitter said...

Art is a wonderful career, and she can make a living out of it: calligraphers, pottery makers, independent artists, photographers, graphical artists, textile designers... the list is endless. Now with Internet she is able to even sell her designs to people who are specifically looking for something unique and one-of-a-kind... Wherever she choses to go, if she shows dedication and works hard, no doubt she'll find ways to finance the education of her dreams.

Leah S said...

Deaf Children Near... are you in Riverside? California has been the only place where I have seen public deaf-related messages.

Since there are two deaf schools in California - Fremont and Riverside, it crossed my mind. When I was in Fremont last spring, my sister and I were shopping at Lowes and as we were leaving, we noticed a sign. It said something like "If you are hearing impaired and the lights start flashing, do not leave." But the way it was worded, I first read it as "Deaf people, do not leave!" ;)

Good luck to Leiya. What about doing 2 years of community college first - cheaper, gets her started in the education she wants. Then she can go to a major college and still get a degree. That's how my sister did it. All the basic college requirements at the local community college, and then finished her last 2 years at a University. Saved herself at least $40,000 that way.

Now she's getting her Masters and working as a teacher's assistant, which will pay for her Masters.

Anyhow... just tossed another bit of confusing information, I'm sure. :)

atet said...

Tanya -- I so sympathize with Leiya's tears. I've seen so many of my first-year university students come to college having been pressured to choose a career and map out their lives when they are only 16 years old. I wish we didn't put that kind of pressure on them. Especially when many of them decide after a year or two that the choice they made at 16 no longer fits. They've grown, they've changed and they now want different things. My best advice to my students, and to your daughter (no, I don't want to make her cry again) is that no matter your decision now -- you are not locked into it if you find you want something else. As long as we are alive and breathing, there is always time for change. I'm a prime example -- teaching was not my first choice of career. I went to graduate school, studied for a career I thought I wanted, and found out that I was miserable once I started working. I've since found that teaching is what feeds my soul and will allow me to help feed my family. But it took me nearly 30 years to figure that out. There is time.

In the meantime -- while I'm sure her Ohio family mean well, art is a viable option. Leyia is so talented, and the art she creates seems to be so much a part of her, it would seem a shame to not explore it and see if it is the path she should take. If art is how she feels most alive -- she should look at schools where she can train it and find out how she can use it. Life is too short to settle for something that does not bring you joy in doing it. Especially something like a carreer where you spend so much of your time. If the school also has a good liberal arts program that lets her explore other avenues -- so much the better. It will allow her to explore her options while still doing what she loves.

Just my 2 cents worth.

Nancy said...

Atet is so wise; she has written eloquently the thoughts I was about to share. Essentially, where she goes to college is NOT the most important decision of Leiya's life! And if after one year she realizes she would be better someplace else, she can change.

I work at a Quaker school Near Philadelphia and I'm horrified by how much emphasis kids put on getting into their "first choice" college. It simply isn't that big a deal -- any accredited college will provide a good education and there are nice kids everywhere.

My daughter applied to 5 colleges and went to the one that offered her the best financial aid. My second son looked at one college and said, "This will be fine," and applied there early decision and hence much of the stress was alleviated.

Good luck to dear Leiya!