Wednesday, June 13, 2007

Birds and flowers


I have a zillion things to do so this is going to be short. One of my English kids is already here!

Here's a picture of one of the herons that I was talking about yesterday. There is a nesting site along our daily walk route and talk about noisey! If anyone needs a definition of squabbling, you just have to walk by this part of the forest. These herons are white and quite large. There is another species of heron which are smaller and grey but they all seem to be competing for trees.

Another bird that we hear a lot during this season sings "Ho---ho-ke-kyo" I think this is a Japanese nightingale and because it is shy and small it is difficult to search out among the trees, but it sings a lovely song early in the mornings.

The azaleas are blooming and one of my elderly neighbors does azalea bonsai which he is quite proud of. Every morning he picks off the dead blossoms and sits and smokes a cigarette while he admires his handiwork and drinks tea. He has other bonsai too but the azaleas are of course the most colorful and seem to be his favorites.

Only two more days till we see Leiya! (Can you tell I'm excited?)

7 comments:

Connie said...

Hi Tanya, Bonsai is such an art and something I admire but have never attempted. I'm enjoying the photos.
I bet you're BEYOND excited at this point! Hugs.

QuiltingFitzy said...

YOU WON, YOU WON!!!

Have you been over to May Britt's blog today?

You lucky duck!

marisa said...

I love bonsai.

atet said...

What lovely azaleas and I can tell you are excited about your daughter's visit. I can't imagine what it must be like to have her so far away!

I still want to try that plum syrup! Yummy!

teodo said...

Ciao Tanya,
beautiful your Bonsay.

I'm happy for you and for Leiya.
ciao ciao

Tazzie said...

Gosh, the Bonsai is just gorgeous. I have always wanted to give it a go, but I'm not sure I'd have the patience.
*hugs*
Tazzie
:-)

Rose Marie said...

Your neighbour's bonsai are gorgeous! Lucky you to be able to admire them also.