Monday, April 23, 2007

A real beauty

Okay, I promised something gorgeous and here it is! A quilt I won in a quilt raffle four years ago! Anyone who has read the blog may think "Hey, didn't she win a quilt back when she was a college student?" You're right. I did, but then four years ago l won another one! I don't believe in luck but I do believe I've been undeservedly blessed!

I was in California on a yearly visit when I remembered that a local quilt guild had a quilt show every other year in the summer and maybe this was the year. My mom called around and found out that the show was that very weeked, so we went the next day and I drooled over the fabrics and quilts. Now this is a fairly small quilt show but even so they had this spectacular quilt hanging at the front of the room and of course I bought a raffle ticket. I always buy a raffle ticket when I see a quilt being raffled whether it is at a quilt show (I haven't been to too many) or at a street fair etc. Since I do a yearly raffle for the kindergarten bazaar, I know how much work goes into a quilt, how much the proceeds are appreciated.

The day of the raffle drawing my mom became sick and we took her to the emergency room and spent the morning there and then brought her home and put her to bed. Completely zonked out (Mom, that is). My sister-in-law and brother and I decided to go out for an hour or two since Mom was sleeping and would not be moving from the bed (we thought!) When we got back, no car! No mom! Where could she have gone? She was not in any working condition when we had left. Did she drive herself back to the hospital? Had someone come and taken her someplace in her car? We really panicked! Call the neighbors? Call the police? A couple of minutes later Mom drives up, barely able to manuever herself out of the car! I was so furious! Until I saw what she was holding. The quilt! The guild had called, said I'd won it and Mom had pulled herself together to go pick it up for me before they quilt show closed up. Put Mom back to bed and just gaze at this gorgeous quilt.

It is amazingly appliqued. There are absolutely no stitches visible whatsoever. One of my quilting friends even wonders if it hasn't all been glued down! She suggests I rip apart a small corner of the applique just to see how it can be completely invisible. The colors are sooooo beautiful!

Two weeks later, I did go to the guild and thank them in person and wrote a thank you letter to the president etc. I had one request; that they send me a label to sew onto it since there was no information about the quilt whatsoever. Unfortunately, they never did get around to this step, and so I have no label on the quilt, I don't know the exact name of the quilt guild, nor who were the amazing appliquers who made it. That is why labels are important girls! If not for my pictures, I wouldn't even know when I won the quilt! But it graces my livingroom (this month) and I love looking at it daily! Isn't it a beauty?!

10 comments:

Connie said...

What a beautiful quilt and to think that you won it is amazing. It's extremely nice!

anne bebbington said...

Gorgeous!!!

Helen said...

Those flowers are just beautiful. It is a pity that there is no label.

Mrs. Goodneedle said...

That's a great story. Your poor Mom, apparently she knew the value of this quilt and took appropriate action, even from her sick bed. It is absolutely lovely. Congratulations on your good fortune!

marisa said...

wonderful quilt !

Jane Weston said...

It exquisitely done! Maybe someone out in blogland will recognise it and give you the info you need so you can add a label...I'm keeping my fingers crossed for you. :o)

Fiona said...

Beautiful, and some lovely fabrics in it too.

marisa said...

it's a pincushion with bowl ( circle fold and quilted to machine)
excuse my bad english.

Rose Marie said...

Why not make a label and mention on it where, when, and how you won it. Then, at least your quilt will have something to identify it.
Lucky you to have won it!

Belém said...

It is a beautiful quilt. I love the cherries in themiddle of the central square